April 16th, 2004 : Relocating My Horns
Every time we've had a heavy rainstorm since I got this truck, driving through some good sized puddles, I've noticed one of my horns not working. I'd honk my horn and instead of hearing those great old Chevy harmonies, I'd hear a sick goose bellowing a singular note! A few days later it would clear up, but it was on my mind to figure out what was going on.
Further investigation revealed the problem -- a previous owner had decided to mount both horns in the front wheel well on the driver-side ... down low, just behind the bumper mounts. I don't think I could find a worse place to mount horns if I tried! Water was splashing up all over the horns and filling one of them with water, disabling the horn.
This past week, after four or five days of nearly continuous rain, that sick goose was perched back under the front of my truck again. Today we have finally returned to Spring-like weather and I decided to relocate the horns.
First, I removed them from that ridiculous location. Then I removed the section under the hood which includes the hood-catch, exposing the front of the radiator and making it easy for me to drill some holes to mount the horns left and right of the radiator. I then rerouted the wiring by drilling a half-inch hole (see "Wire Feed" in the photo below) ... drilled new holes and wire-brushed down to bare metal for a good ground and mounted the horns ... respliced the main horn wire and made my connections ... covered the wires with quarter-inch split-loom and secured them with nylon tie-straps.
Bingo. The horns are louder than before and the Chevy harmonies are more vivid, due to the greater separation between the horns!