January 25th, 2009: New Seats for the Truck - Part 6
I spent the entire day today selecting and cutting pieces of buffalo for both seat bottoms. After finishing both seat backs, I felt like I really knew what I was doing and, being the optimist that I am, I thought I'd have both bottoms finished completely ... but that was far from the case!
Even so, I'm happy that I accomplished what I did. All the pieces have been glued to sewfoam, sized and cut, and are ready for assembly. Those two huge pieces you see on the far end of my work table, in the back, are the pieces that wrap around the front and the sides of the seat bottom ... and then, in the foreground, are the pieces that make up the top-side of the seat bottom.
Tomorrow I'll assemble all these pieces and start installing them on the frames.
January 26th: Today I assembled all the pieces for one seat and installed the cover on the seat frame.
Man, oh man ... this was way more difficult than I ever thought it would be. First, making the French seams around the perameter of the seat was an unbelievable struggle -- I was actually sweating! And, second, installing the cover on the frame was an indescribable battle! My hands are killing me from pulling and pounding the leather into position in order to hog ring it in place.
January 27th: Today I assembled the second seat bottom, took a break, and then put both seats together. I feel great because they came out really well ... and also because I know I have completed the most difficult part of my truck interior!
Here's a shot of the "before & after:"
And here's a shot of both seats, together:
And here's a shot of the seat-backs with buttons: