December 21st, 2008: Seat-Back Handles
I'm in a bit of a "waiting mode" on this project ... unable to move ahead until I get some more elk hides and the half-inch sew-foam needed to proceed on the seats. So, today, I decided to play around with covering these two small seat-back handles with black elk ... I'll also be covering the plastic side control module (pictured below) and you'll probably see that project appear next:
This was a fun little project that only took me a couple of hours to do. I started out by taking the plastic handles, laying each of them face-down on the back side of some elk pieces and tracing an outline of the shape of each. Then I sewed that outline to a long strip of elk which would wrap around ... covering the left, front and right sides of each handle, as seen below, making each piece a good amount longer than needed:
Next, I did a little more sewing, creating French seams ... then, measuring for the length of the plastic handles plus a quarter-inch, I sewed a finished edge to the back and cut off the excess:
In the last shot, above, I turned each piece inside-out and masked off the sides. This is because I wanted to glue the top side of each piece of elk to the top side of each handle. After the tops dried, I glued the sides ... and after the sides dried, I trimmed off the excess remains and cut nice fittings before gluing and wrapping the bottoms.
I'm happy with the way they came out: