April 23rd, 2007 : Getting Ready For Paint - Part 2 of 3
Today I started removing things from the interior in the interest of saving the painter time ... saving me some money ... and to get my truck back home sooner! I removed the headliner for the first time ...
... I also removed two rear-corner panels and some material that was glued to the back of the cab, around the rear window. This is the first peek I've had at what lies beneath all this stuff and there's a whole lot more mounting surfaces available than I thought. The metal above the windshield offers much! And the back corners, behind the doors, as well as the entire area around the rear window, is all away from the outer shell of the cab ... so screws can be applied in enough areas to make interior fabrication easier than I thought it would be. Also, I can see that mounting an overhead center console won't be a problem either.
I thought I might save the old headliner and use it as a template, but it was shy of going as deep behind the windshield rubber as it could have, so I'm just going to start from scratch and design my own templates.
Here's a shot of the rear corner ...
Here, the doors are made bare and I removed my elk-covered armrests ... the interior window trim pieces ... the windlace around the doors ... and I'm also guessing that the door rubber will be coming off and I'll be installing new rubber for the fourth time.
I removed the radio and the faceplate I made for it, bagged up the faceplate I had below the dash that holds the clock and some other knobs, and removed all the knobs (labeling each one) and the cigarette lighter.
I masked off the channel that receives the rubber windlace around the door. I don't want any paint in there, making it more difficult to install the windlace.
Next, I stripped down the rest of the dash ... removed all the knobs ... scribbled some notes ...
... and took out the gauges.